PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Sprayer to get?

michgav90
09-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Hello Forum,

First Thread here. I am going to be dipping my whole BMW tomorrow but I am not sure as to which is the best sprayer to purchase. I have seen Fonzie use the Wagner Control Spray Plus and the Earlex 3500 HVLP Paint Sprayer. I personally think the Wagner Control Spray Plus is a better quality, but Im not sure what works best to Plasti dip the whole car. Any suggestions are Greatly appreciated!! Thank you guys.

Precious Metal
09-29-2012, 08:01 AM
I don't know about the Earlex but the Wagner is great. Last night I was shooting a box van at my friend's bodyshop and he couldn't spray dip with any of his 800.00 automotive guns. Then he was floored at how perfectly the dip sprays with the Wagner.

michgav90
09-29-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't know about the Earlex but the Wagner is great. Last night I was shooting a box van at my friend's bodyshop and he couldn't spray dip with any of his 800.00 automotive guns. Then he was floored at how perfectly the dip sprays with the Wagner.

That is good to know....What have you used or own??? (spray equipment)

Bigcat
09-29-2012, 02:26 PM
The Earlex is an awesome gun!!! Highly recommend. Not a fan I the Warner's especially after using the Earlex. It's very easy to use and works really well in wheels also. There is a gun that they sell at Lowes that's almost identical to the Earlex. It's a Graco. Someone on the forum has used it already with great results. Only downfall is it has 450 watts instead of 500.

Kaos_325i
09-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I was actually looking at the Graco last night at Lowe's. I think I was looking at the Pro???17

Don't really know the first thing about these guns. But when I research them, this will be the first

lilbobby
09-29-2012, 05:07 PM
My Wagner works great

mito
09-30-2012, 03:35 PM
just got me a wagner but i would say go for the 3500 its way better i just didnt have the money

michgav90
10-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks huys

michgav90
10-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys

diphaus
10-03-2012, 01:56 AM
OMG earlex is night and day, believe me. We went through 3 wagners and they don't even compare. Defiantly worth the investment.

Rickyv90
10-03-2012, 02:03 AM
OMG earlex is night and day, believe me. We went through 3 wagners and they don't even compare. Defiantly worth the investment.

Hey, just out of curiosity what makes the Earlex so much better? I have heard that it is good and it is making me consider purchasing one but I want to get my money's worth. I feel like I get a pretty good finish already with the Wagner here's a pretty good pic of the texture on my car. It is the driver side fender and edge of the hood. If it's going to improve that much and the gun really works well I'll invest in it. Also do you have the 3500 or 5500?
http://imageshack.us/a/img856/1684/1010095p.jpg

lilbobby
10-03-2012, 03:15 AM
that is pretty smooth...........and i agree, my wagner gets things pretty smooth.........is the earlex that much better

Chevy_
10-03-2012, 05:22 AM
has anyone used the Graco HV2900 ???

DougMo74
10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I just picked up a Graco 3900 and it's 550 watts. I will be spraying my B7 A4 as soon as the weather in the Boston area lets me. The 2900 has 450 watts. The 3900 also came with a back pack attatchment that holds 1.5 gallons.

mito
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
yeah im trying to figure out if i should get a better gun from dip your car or use the one i got ill probable spring for the new one when i open up my dip shop

Precious Metal
10-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Harbor Freight has a similar sprayer as well. I picked it up because I had a coupon but thus far it sucks. Splatter goes everywhere. I'm hoping its just a bad adjustment but probably a piece of crap. I only got it because it came with multiple spray tips and has adjustment knobs like a regular HVLP gun. If I don't get it dialed in tomorrow ill return it. What I really wanted was to have 2 spray guns to work with at the same time. Especially if I'm doing 2 different projects.

Beast
10-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Any sprayers that DYC has on the site are highly recommended for getting that perfect finish. I would personally go with the 5500 as it is the top of the line right now for DYC, and is being used by the team.

mito
10-03-2012, 10:23 PM
yeah i been seriously thinking about getting it its just money right now kinda trying to save up for pink for breast cancer rims also lol

Foolish
10-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Precious Metal: Did you get anywhere with the HF gun? I have one and was considering using it to dip a couple of wheel sets. I've had some experience painting cars with an HVLP gun before, and I have a decent compressor, but I haven't found much on here about people using this sort of setup.

Cadsilverback
10-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I find all of this very useful.

Precious Metal
10-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Precious Metal: Did you get anywhere with the HF gun? I have one and was considering using it to dip a couple of wheel sets. I've had some experience painting cars with an HVLP gun before, and I have a decent compressor, but I haven't found much on here about people using this sort of setup.

No luck with the HF POS. I'm going to return it. As for regular HVLP guns, I have used them for dip. I have found that they work well for smaller projects like wheels and trim because they're smaller and more maneuverable compared to a Wagner. On larger jobs I always use the Wagner. I don't seem to get a large volume of material with the HVLP gun so spraying large panels takes forever. Then I try to rush it and end up with flaws. I was a my friends bodyshop and he was trying to spray dip with a 800.00 HVLP gun (noob) and got really frustrated that he couldn't make it spray the way he wanted. Then I came in with my Wagner and showed him how we do. He couldn't believe it.

Cadsilverback
10-10-2012, 04:57 PM
No luck with the HF POS. I'm going to return it. As for regular HVLP guns, I have used them for dip. I have found that they work well for smaller projects like wheels and trim because they're smaller and more maneuverable compared to a Wagner. On larger jobs I always use the Wagner. I don't seem to get a large volume of material with the HVLP gun so spraying large panels takes forever. Then I try to rush it and end up with flaws. I was a my friends bodyshop and he was trying to spray dip with a 800.00 HVLP gun (noob) and got really frustrated that he couldn't make it spray the way he wanted. Then I came in with my Wagner and showed him how we do. He couldn't believe it.

You didn't have to show yo boi up like that........did he get all red in the face, if not you should have dip his face red and then asked him "way so red in the face." And then run for ya life.

INC Customs
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Same here, we went through 3-4 wagners and not a good choice. wagners are good if you're doing it to 1-3 cars, after that it's done. Here at INC Customs we used are paint gun and got it down to a sciene on spraying dip. =)

jjohnson2301
10-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Same here, we went through 3-4 wagners and not a good choice. wagners are good if you're doing it to 1-3 cars, after that it's done. Here at INC Customs we used are paint gun and got it down to a sciene on spraying dip. =)

Nice :)

SpyderGiant
10-10-2012, 09:12 PM

What ratio do you thin the dip out to?

TORQUER
10-11-2012, 04:38 AM
I haven't dipped anything yet, but I used to design robotics for the internal coating of pipelines. We always used gracco pumps in our robots because they are built very well. I would like to see someone use a gracco and report on it.

Mnutz
08-08-2013, 08:08 PM
I think I'm going to try the Graco 3900, $149, 13' hose, back pack. What about the Earlex 3900?? Can't find it in the States, anyone know?

Wish DYC stocked the Earlex 3900 (hint, hint)

r2raider
08-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Hello guys. At this moment looking at the sprayers too. My choose fall on wagner 550 and ryobi pro tip ss100/ss300. What's better for Plasti Dip? Are Ryobi stuff suits for Plasti Dip? I inclined to pruchase a Ryobi, as their tools indeed great(at least what I'm using), but everyone is using Wagner for covering car with Plasti Dip, so I unsure. Need your advice.

jomak123
08-02-2014, 03:53 AM
Hello guys. At this moment looking at the sprayers too. My choose fall on wagner 550 and ryobi pro tip ss100/ss300. What's better for Plasti Dip? Are Ryobi stuff suits for Plasti Dip? I inclined to pruchase a Ryobi, as their tools indeed great(at least what I'm using), but everyone is using Wagner for covering car with Plasti Dip, so I unsure. Need your advice.

Everyone used to use Earlex 3500, but now DYC spray gun from Earlex. Check it out. I bought one. The biggest thing is needle size, you want 1.5