Thread: Question On Thinner / Plasti Ratio

Question On Thinner / Plasti Ratio

I just had a few quick questions that I couldn't seem to find anywhere.. Any help would be awesome !

What is the proper ratio of thinner to plasti ?..

Does any paint thinner work or does it have to be the Plasti Thinner from DYC ?..

Also If I was using a 5 Gallon Bucket for my truck how much thinner would be needed ?..

Thanks to anyone would could glady help me out with this !

I am searching the same question.....

I have only found that most advise 1:1 ratio.

Still no answer on the "thinner" product recommendation or coverage amounts.

Looking for the exact same answers!

I have posted it numerous times but because DYC dipped comes prethinned it really isn't a question that is brought up constantly. So anyway if you bought elsewhere and looking to thin your dip.

Here is what I recommend.
    Thinner Xylene. Naphtha as a second choice if Xylene isn't available.
    As for ratio weather plays a part in it. So an exact answer is hard. In hot weather I like to use a high ratio like 50-50. Meaning 1 gallon of dip per 1 gallon of Xylene as it gets cooler I like to lower it closer to 60-40 mix meaning 6 parts dip to 4 parts thinner. If this is still too hard. Fill a gallon slightly passed halfway with dip then fill the rest with thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickyv90 View Post
    I have posted it numerous times but because DYC dipped comes prethinned it really isn't a question that is brought up constantly. So anyway if you bought elsewhere and looking to thin your dip.

Here is what I recommend.
    Thinner Xylene. Naphtha as a second choice if Xylene isn't available.
    As for ratio weather plays a part in it. So an exact answer is hard. In hot weather I like to use a high ratio like 50-50. Meaning 1 gallon of dip per 1 gallon of Xylene as it gets cooler I like to lower it closer to 60-40 mix meaning 6 parts dip to 4 parts thinner. If this is still too hard. Fill a gallon slightly passed halfway with dip then fill the rest with thinner.
    Ty for the help, if I mix the thinner n the dip and don't use it all, is there anyway to safely store it so it doesn't go to waste??

Also,

I have really bad dirt build up on all of my window trim, I still need to do a few new layers of dip. Washing it doesn't take the dirt away, what can i do to take the dirt off so i can redip it smoothly??? please help !!!

Authorized DipYourCar Installer 304Dips's Avatar
    Im wondering the same thing except I only have a Lowes Store in my town. If I can find a place that has 5-gallon buckets of thinner that would be best so I dont have to keep buying it in individual gallon sizes.

Authorized DipYourCar Installer 304Dips's Avatar
    Ive stored plastidip with thinner mixed in for months and seems to be fine as long as its completely sealed up.

homw depot and lowes only sell gallon cpontainers of XYLENE and quarts of Naptha

Bumping this up to see if anyone has does this yet and the results. My goal is to buy a 5 gallon container as well and thin it myself.

Yes, I have thinned a 5 Gallon container with 5 Gallons of Toluene. You can also use Xylene and Naptha.

New Dipper
    can you use standard thinners with plastidip? here is the ingredients of the thinners http://www.tetrosyl.com/clients/www....d_Thinners.pdf

Hi, is there any difference in using Xylene or Toluene? End product will not destroy e integrity of PlastiDip & still are able to peel off right?

Yep both will peel fine. There is a slight difference in dry time but both will work
    When in Doubt..... Spray it Out!

Dip Questions?? Click HERE first!

Which thinner dries faster?
    it works to mix tol & xyl?