Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic dip and lug nut area and tire changing

Plastic dip and lug nut area and tire changing

will the plasti dip tear out at the lug nut area when the rim is mounted if done off the car??

can a tire be changed without destroying the plasti job???
    ED So.California
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,etc
    2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
    1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc. 5th wheel, air bags

Yeah I am curious about the same.... I had a problem with it today lol

Seasoned Dipper
    I've only changed one tire that had plasti dip on the wheel and it did mess up the lip. It won't tear up lug holes if the tire guy is EXTREMELY careful, or in some cases if the lug holes aren't big than it's likely the socket will rub no matter what.
    Soon to be dipped, 95 C1500 LM7, built 4L60e, Circle D 3200, LT's, Nelson tune, open differential, 3.42, and LS1 e-fans. Tractionless

If you have room try sticking like a soft thin tag or something and hold that in place while you do it.

Plastic dip and lug nut area and tire changing

Q-tip and thinner. That's the trick.
    One day I stumbled upon a Fonzie video. The rest is history.

yes it will tear old trick we use to use is take some quarters and put them in the holes before you dip after your done take a razor go around the quarters in the holes then pop em out that way you dont get dip in the bottom of the holes
    I was sane once.
    A man named Fonzie came to me with a can
    It was what was in that can that drove me Mad
    -MAD MITO

Fourth Big Dipper (500/post)
    First Pro Dipper (1000/post)
    First Veteran Dipper (1500/post)
    Third OG Dipper (3000/post)
    Third KingPin Dipper (4000/post)

Yeah i am wondering this too because i am doing my wheels and will have them put on by a shop since i have no clue what i am doing. Unless i learn this way i do not ruin my wheels

So far I've learned the best way it to use a thin walled socket and go very slow. I usually start by hand tightening all the lugs as tight as I can and then go with a socket. Some ties are extremely easy to use the standard cross type wrench and sometimes it a socket/wratchet. If I do rip the dip some touch up after everything is tight doesn't hurt.

Re: Plastic dip and lug nut area and tire changing

Thinner and qtip is a good idea, so is the quarter trick.

As for changing tires, they shouldnt even touch a lip of the rim. Most tire shops have more advanced systems now to take off tires. I know discount tires changed a tire on one of my dipped rims and they didn't even leave a scratch.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 91gsx View Post

As for changing tires, they shouldnt even touch a lip of the rim. Most tire shops have more advanced systems now to take off tires. I know discount tires changed a tire on one of my dipped rims and they didn't even leave a scratch.

Yeah I'm just saying about the lugs.. The quarter trick will do the job!?
    What is the quarter trick?

Seasoned Dipper
    Quote Originally Posted by 91gsx View Post

The way our machines are set up the tech can adjust how much the machine touches the wheel, if the machine can't get a solid hold then it'll just slip off when the tech tries to get the bar between the bead of the tire and the machine. Also it depends on how tight the bolts are on the duckhead, too tight and it won't contour to the wheel, too loose and it'll pivot on the wheel making it touch the wheel more than normal.

I'd just dip your wheels after tires or if you have the dip already on be extremely anal about the finish and it's likely they'll put the more experienced techs to work on your car.

Lastly, if your dip is peeling at the edges it's much more likely to rip
    Soon to be dipped, 95 C1500 LM7, built 4L60e, Circle D 3200, LT's, Nelson tune, open differential, 3.42, and LS1 e-fans. Tractionless

Well my wheels will be taken off in the fall anyway so no matter what it wouldn't matter if they were sprayed on the truck considering its gonna be taken off anyway.. And how do they do an alignment? And banlance do they have to take the wheels off?

I think I'm best off doing the quarter trick and hoping they don't chip the plasti dip.

Seasoned Dipper
    Discount doesn't do alignments, yes wheels have to be taken off to be balanced.