Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Coat over Plastidip

Clear Coat over Plastidip

So I've already seen Fonzies video on how clear coat makes it more difficult to peel plastidip off in the future, but I'm not concerned with that. What I am concerned with is will the clear coat last forever? Because I know if you spray clear on other car parts it stays shiny for aaaaggggeeessss, maybe even forever.

Dip-a-f*ckin-holic Dip of the Month Winner Jgieka's Avatar
    most likely it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgieka View Post
    most likely it will.
    Are you sure? Do you have any pictures or threads to prove it? Not that I don't trust you just don't want to screw up a perfect paint job is all.

i don't have pictures of dip thats been cleared for more than a couple months. i got a plate that i dipped and cleared over about 2 1/2 months ago, but thats it. PD isn't going to destroy the clear when the clear is applied over it, the clear is over powering it. thats why the dip is harder to get off. if you do a fresh (6-8 months before dipping) clear coat on something and then dip it, then the dip over powers the curing process of the clear and dulls it out. Why do you want to dip a car, and then clear coat over it?

i don't have pictures of dip thats been cleared for more than a couple months. i got a plate that i dipped and cleared over about 2 1/2 months ago, but thats it. PD isn't going to destroy the clear when the clear is applied over it, the clear is over powering it. thats why the dip is harder to get off. if you do a fresh (6-8 months before dipping) clear coat on something and then dip it, then the dip over powers the curing process of the clear and dulls it out. Why do you want to dip a car, and then clear coat over it?
    O alright, thought it would give it a permanent shine/glossy look to it that's why.

it will, but if you ever want to take it off, it will seriously take you for ever.

it will, but if you ever want to take it off, it will seriously take you for ever.
    Alrighty, and is the shine as good as the one you get from the glossifier? Or worse? Or Better? I'll make sure though that I am DEFINITELY sure I want to keep the colour and won't change in the future because like you said it'll take FOREVER to take off the plastidip, but don't think I'll need to anyway

its definitely glossier than glossifier

I think your best bet is a water based clear assuming you plan on using a gun to dip. If you use water based you should be able to peel if and when you want.

Ricky is right, but I think water based clears are les glossy in my opinion.

Ricky is right, but I think water based clears are les glossy in my opinion.
    Still glossier than the PD gloss.

Alright I used some clear on my rims today and it turned out alright. Not glossy, but more of a satin finish, but adds a nice touch IMO

Thanks for your help guys Really appreciate it

If you want a permanent job then why not powder coat?
    DYC Moderator

First Big Dipper (500 Posts)
    Second Pro Dipper (1000 Posts)

Contact Me For Assistance/Reportings

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    If you want a permanent job then why not powder coat?
    It's costly here in Australia. About $400 hence the reason I went with plastidip, but it turned out good so.don't have to worry now

That is expensive, well I am glad you like the results!
    DYC Moderator

First Big Dipper (500 Posts)
    Second Pro Dipper (1000 Posts)

Contact Me For Assistance/Reportings