Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing thin Plasti Dip

Removing thin Plasti Dip

Not sure if this goes here but I stumbled on a neat trick that helps with the removal of thin plasti dip.

So I dipped my MKV GTI roof matte black and got some really awful texture. So I went to remove it to start from scratch and come to find out the dip was pretty thin in the areas that my arm couldn't reach. So instead of trying to peel it off, I made a square around the main part of the dip that was extremely thin and took a can of Dip and sprayed really thick layers on top of the thin dip hoping to make the removal process faster. Let dry and began to roll the dip with my fingers and it came out off like a champ. Pretty neat trick I thought of.

Has anyone thought of doing this? Did it work?

Hunter

Dipper
    i have not tried it but i have the same problem on my front and back bumpers -_- ill give it a shot

I had the same with a matte black roof. It was textured and too thin for peeling. I sprayed the whole roof with 5 extra coats.
    Blue plasti dipped 2006 Mustang GT

Administrator President, DipYourCar LLC Fonzie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    that's the way to do it. if it's too thin to peel and you have extra dip to spare - hammer out some thick ugly layers and peeling is easy. It will all bond together
    Fonzie
    President, DipYourCar LLC

www.dipyourcar.com
    www.facebook.com/dipyourcar
    www.youtube.com/dipyourcarcom
    www.twitter.com/FonzieDYC
    Personal Instagram - @FonzieDYC

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
    that's the way to do it. if it's too thin to peel and you have extra dip to spare - hammer out some thick ugly layers and peeling is easy. It will all bond together
    Yep, that's exactly how I did it!

I did my whole car matte black on black. I did it with the rattle cans WAY too thin and Im getting ready to do the whole thing in matte white here in about a week. I can already tell its going to be a pain in the ass. I think im going to run down to home depot and buy a few cans to make things a bit easier.
    DD: A4 98 quattro 2.8 manual.
    I sell hid bulbs for cars: http://www.hidbulbzrus.com

Lololol. The only product that requires more of what it is to get rid of it. Oh plastidip well never get rid of you

If you don't have extra dip just buy goo gone and it melts off.

Little tip I found the other day.
    Clay bar is good for removing any little bits of over spray you might have on body panels or glass.

Gas Station Squeegee is good for light coats on windows... you must really scrub... but it's good for windows... A razer also....
    How long can you re-apply the extra layer to help removal?

Easiest way to remove it is to put a little bit of thinner on a rag and wipe it off. It will come off like it was never there. No reason to scrub and leave scratches or use extra dip to get it off. Another trick I have used is used an adhesive remover totally safe for your paint. Designed to remove things like emblems from your car. Unless were talking about 2 different things here. There shouldn't be any areas you can reach because if you can't that is where you are going to get texture. Get a chair or something.

I was using thinner... and the paint shop stopped me... just told me it's not good for your health... they gave me some mixture that worked 2/3rds as good, but they said was water based. I wouldn't recommend using thinner, as when the thinner dried... some tape style residue was left on my windows... I had to take a razor and squeegee to get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by NicodemusX0 View Post
    I was using thinner... and the paint shop stopped me... just told me it's not good for your health... they gave me some mixture that worked 2/3rds as good, but they said was water based. I wouldn't recommend using thinner, as when the thinner dried... some tape style residue was left on my windows... I had to take a razor and squeegee to get it off.
    Oh yea thinner is terrible for you. Someone said in Canada you have to have some type of license for it. I milder thinner like mineral spirits would probably work still and there are some thinners with no chemicals as well. Not strong enough to use to thin the dip but probably enough to remove excess.

^Yeah that was me, they only have mineral spirits and acetone, methy hydrate on the shelf.

I don't know how well go gone works but nothing that I have tried has worked as good as the adhesive remover. Takes overspray off super easily and leaves the panel pretty clean. Only thing is with the glass it will leave it streaky so you have to clean it with a glass cleaner after.