Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to avoid lug nut peeling on re-installing wheels

How to avoid lug nut peeling on re-installing wheels

Hey guys just did a set of E36 m3 wheels for a guy I work with. He said when his son installed them this morning, that the lug nuts connected with the dip and when he put them on it spun the dip and tore it all around the lug nuts.

The wheels were removed so we could paint the calipers yellow. So ive got to a do a bit of touch up tonight. Now when i installed my wheels i used an impact gun and i noticed it did the same thing but, because of the power it tore it quick and didnt really do any damage.

So basically my question is, when putting wheels back on after plastidipping how can you avoid lug nut damage? .

Dont have a pic of the wheels up close but you can amagine what it looks like, here was the picture he sent this morning on the car from a distance, really looks good! (he just had me spray calipers with engine enamel and dip the wheels i left him/his son to do all the hard work!)

4 very light coats of gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by breds2k View Post
    So basically my question is, when putting wheels back on after plastidipping how can you avoid lug nut damage? .
    Dip the nut/socket or wait 1-2 days to make sure the dip has gone off fully.

^Dipping the lug will not work, it will just get dinged up when the wrench hits it, and We waited a full day to reinstall.

Its the socket that's damaged the dip on the wheels?

I'd dip the socket or buy a set that's got the plastic protection around it.

Thats actually an excellent idea but it is actually the base of the lug nut when spinning catches plastidip and spins it off.

More normal wheels dont have this problem, but these M3 wheels do and my Enkeis did (aftermarket wheels small lugs)

Why not just buy black lug nuts? Obviously more expensive then finding a way to paint them but you can get a set of black lug nuts for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by breds2k View Post
    Thats actually an excellent idea but it is actually the base of the lug nut when spinning catches plastidip and spins it off.

More normal wheels dont have this problem, but these M3 wheels do and my Enkeis did (aftermarket wheels small lugs)
    I understand now.

Don't dip that section of the wheel?

Not the point, and the lug nuts are black. when the lugs are tightened they clamp down on the wheel tearing the plastidip!

Cant really avoid painting it. I remember seeing fonzie do a coin trick to block off the lug holes im thinking I shouldve tried that.

Did you try putting them back on using a torque stick?
    DO IT RIGHT, DO IT ONCE
    Jack of many
    Prince of a few
    King of One

I've blue-taped off lugs so they don't get sprayed and leave them on the car. That also should allow for Dip to get far enough into the holes...but not create a strong enough layer to rip when you remove the lugs.

The penny trick Fonzie did sounds like a good one.
    I've actually never thought of doing this.
    IMO doesn't sound like there is 1000 ways of doing it.
    Keeping the lug rest area free of dip will most likely be your best bet.

I dipped my chrome lugs with smoke for my black dipped rims and it turned out nice, with no damage during installation

I have decided for the next set of wheels I do to simply tape off the whole lug opening area, should work ok, and if for any reason it stands out undipped, ill just hit it with black spray paint, worst case it chips off, just dont want it to form and then get caught on a lug and spin off.

I taped my lug nuts and placed them in the holes for my last car. Worked pretty good.

This one all I did was just not spray in the hole. It got some over spray so it doesn't look like its not dipped. No problem at all.

Black Plastidip Chrome Ring, Front & Back Mitsu Emblems, Hood Scoop,
    Side Markers, Chrome Window Trim, 3rd Brake Light & Rear Reflectors
    Blaze Blue Plastidip Rims
    CarDomain Facebook