President, DipYourCar LLC

www.dipyourcar.com
    www.facebook.com/dipyourcar
    www.youtube.com/dipyourcarcom
    www.twitter.com/FonzieDYC
    Personal Instagram - @FonzieDYC

What were you using as the thinner?

Dip-a-f*ckin-holic Dip of the Month Winner Jgieka's Avatar
    Ok Fonzie Great vid, but i have a big question! now i can obviously tell that it has better coverage, but with the Plasti Dip S, do you still need the 4-5 coats, in order for it to peel perfectly, or is the PDS a bit thicker?. From what i understand, its like mixing the dip with an opaque thinner instead of a clear thinner, giving that better coverage, but what about the amount of coats it takes for the durability, and peel ability, not just color coverage? Thanks buddy!

R.I.P. 97 VW Golf Trek Fully Dipped
    09 Suzuki Sx4 AWD Hatch
    1st OG Dipper
    1st Kingpin Dipper
    PS Ninja, Random Person, Christ Follower
    I Love this Forum and my peeps in it
    YOU CAN DO ANYTHING, IF YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN

For the base colours like black and white, would it be possible to use the full strength dip, thin it down then add tint from the Create Your Colour kit that Perfomix make to get the tint ratio back up?

That red dip really speaks for itself.
    I think people who thin regular plastidip are the ones that are complaining that it's eating away at the clear coat of their paint.

Fonzie, you might want to add to that, peeling thinned dip on a painted panel, vs peeling S dip on a painted panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennykid2002 View Post
    That red dip really speaks for itself.
    I think people who thin regular plastidip are the ones that are complaining that it's eating away at the clear coat of their paint.

Fonzie, you might want to add to that, peeling thinned dip on a painted panel, vs peeling S dip on a painted panel.
    not fully true, many of those ppl ordered pre thinned dip, their main issues were their clear coats not the dip.

09 Suzuki Sx4 AWD Hatch
    1st OG Dipper
    1st Kingpin Dipper

Administrator President, DipYourCar LLC Fonzie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgieka View Post
    Ok Fonzie Great vid, but i have a big question! now i can obviously tell that it has better coverage, but with the Plasti Dip S, do you still need the 4-5 coats, in order for it to peel perfectly, or is the PDS a bit thicker?. From what i understand, its like mixing the dip with an opaque thinner instead of a clear thinner, giving that better coverage, but what about the amount of coats it takes for the durability, and peel ability, not just color coverage? Thanks buddy!
    It is generally the same as far as coats. You will get full coverage (as far as color) in 3 coats with the Rubber Dip S.. but I always apply 4-5 for durability and peelability.
    Fonzie
    President, DipYourCar LLC

www.dipyourcar.com
    www.facebook.com/dipyourcar
    www.youtube.com/dipyourcarcom
    www.twitter.com/FonzieDYC
    Personal Instagram - @FonzieDYC

Definitely interesting. At the end of the day I've had a lot of success with thinning myself and will personally continue doing so. I pretty sure I've never had my coats come out as transparent as that either. I know I can do my entire car with 2 gallons of either white or black before thinning. If it was prethinned I would need at least 3, probably 4 gallons. So if I thin myself I buy 2 gallons of dip and 2 gallons of thinner. $60 a gallon for the dip $20 a gallon for thinner + $160. Compared to the spray 3 gallons = $180ish obviously it varies and it's probably more like 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
    It is generally the same as far as coats. You will get full coverage (as far as color) in 3 coats with the Rubber Dip S.. but I always apply 4-5 for durability and peelability.
    Thanks for the info!

09 Suzuki Sx4 AWD Hatch
    1st OG Dipper
    1st Kingpin Dipper

Excellent video!!

I've been using S non stop since I learned my lesson. The coverage is NIGHT AND DAY.

Anyone old school mixing hasn't tried RDS himself. Guaranteed.

better coverage+less time dippin= I am going with Rubber Dip S

Awesome vid Fonzie, can honestly say I didn't expect to see the HUGE difference between the two.

I think i will just keep thinning myself, since i would still need to do the same amount of coats, either way, there isn't really a point for me to spend more money on PDS. and i personally haven't had a problem with coverage at all. but i will still continue to get all my other products from DYC cuz i love them lol.

09 Suzuki Sx4 AWD Hatch
    1st OG Dipper
    1st Kingpin Dipper

J love your projects man!

I don't know how many whole cars you've dipped, or more importantly what COLORS you've used for whole cars - but the S makes a huge difference in how many coats you need. I don't charge $ for jobs, but i do have now 6 cars done between me and my friends. we did one red, thinned ourself. it was a white camaro with racing stripes. it rook 8 fucking coats, and you could still see some zebra and see the edges of the racing stripes through the car. we peeled the whole dang thing, and re dipped with rubber dip s, 4 coats.. could have goten away with 3. that was half the product and way half the cost. same when we did a f-150 in white (it was blue). it makes the whole process a million times easier. you get the same coverage with 1 or 2 coats of S that you do when you're on your 4th coat of self thinned. i'll never dip a car self thinned again.

even ricky's stang. i know he's like anti 'the man' and tries to do everything his own way but i see uneven spots in the pics of his blue mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by m5beaterbeater View Post
    J love your projects man!

I don't know how many whole cars you've dipped, or more importantly what COLORS you've used for whole cars - but the S makes a huge difference in how many coats you need. I don't charge $ for jobs, but i do have now 6 cars done between me and my friends. we did one red, thinned ourself. it was a white camaro with racing stripes. it rook 8 fucking coats, and you could still see some zebra and see the edges of the racing stripes through the car. we peeled the whole dang thing, and re dipped with rubber dip s, 4 coats.. could have goten away with 3. that was half the product and way half the cost. same when we did a f-150 in white (it was blue). it makes the whole process a million times easier. you get the same coverage with 1 or 2 coats of S that you do when you're on your 4th coat of self thinned. i'll never dip a car self thinned again.

even ricky's stang. i know he's like anti 'the man' and tries to do everything his own way but i see uneven spots in the pics of his blue mustang.
    I got ya buddy, i know, it only makes sense that the PDS would be better because Performix made it specifically to do just that. the only thing that I'm saying, is that so far as coverage for the stuff and cars I've done, i haven't had any issues yet, and thinning myself is still cheaper. I can literally get 6 gal of dip that i can spray for the price of 4 gal of PDS. Its all about what you know, how you spray, and most importantly how you thin it. I could get a 40 diff color opaque pigments, for 30$ and add it to my thinners for different jobs, when you do this, it makes the dip's coverage so much better, like PDS does, so in my case, its just not worth me spending the extra $ for a coverage that i can create myself for cheaper. but Im not against using PDS or anything, i just have a cheaper way of doing it because i live semi close to a company that offers what i use at a cheap price. Its nothing against PDS or Fonzie or DYC or anything, I think that the PDS dip is such a great idea, and a wonderful product for so many ppl that are looking for just that. Its just not the case with me, thats all. And thanks for being so polite about your response, i appreciate that, ppl can be such jerks.

09 Suzuki Sx4 AWD Hatch
    1st OG Dipper
    1st Kingpin Dipper